www-community mailing list archives

From Andrew Savory <and...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject EU Software Patents
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:09:14 GMT

Hi,

Some of you may already be aware that on 1st September the European
parliament will vote [1] on the issue of software patents.

This is something that will directly affect all ASF projects, despite the
care that we take in guaranteeing copyright of contributed code. Approved
patents are not made public for 18 months, so there's no way we can know
in advance what code will infringe patents. This is not the only reason
patents are bad. This letter [2] to MEPs explains more.

In protest against the directive, an online demo [3] is being
co-ordinated, proposing that web sites shut [4] on 27th August. Obviously,
the more sites that shut, the more impact it will have.

I'd like to propose that we "close" (ie swap the front page for a
protest page) as many of the Apache web sites as possible.

Obviously, if we could get a mass turnout of ASF people to the demo in
Brussels [5], that would be even better!

[1] http://swpat.ffii.org/news/03/plen0620/index.en.html
[2] http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/docs/dear_mep/dear_mep.html
[3] http://swpat.ffii.org/group/demo/index.en.html
[4] http://swpat.ffii.org/group/demo/demo.en.html