www-community mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: EU Software Patents
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:17:41 GMT
> > I predict that it will be really ugly.  Fortunately, there are Open
> > Source friendly companies like IBM, so with their patronage, Open
> > Source can succeed.  Should they turn face, ugly will be an
understatement.

> Agreed, but did you know: [that IBM is the world’s most prolific patenter]

Yes.  Hence the observation that the patrongage of companies like IBM would
be essential.  If patents are granted, the only way to combat them is with
other key patents.  It becomes a war to see whose portfolio is larger and
has more keys that can be used to force someone else to let you use their’s.

        --- Noel