www-community mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: EU Software Patents
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:46:06 GMT
On 26/08/2003, at 07:44, Danny Angus wrote:

> If anyone's counting a show of hands here I'm a European and +1 to
> opposing
> software patents in Europe and +1 to the ASF supporting the demo.
>
> d.

+1 and +1!

just FYI: the ISOC members are currently discussing the same issues but
it's probably also too late for them to get something official out of
the door. Given the fact that ISOC is backed by an enormous amount of
big players (M$, IBM, HP, Cisco, ...) and also software patent holders
(mostly IETF folks), I find it really surprising to see a big part of
them against software patents...

and finally another bit of thought food: Bruce Perens speaks on
software patents...
http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/08/07/1453252&mode=thread&tid=19

In any case, I'd like to advise everyone to state your opposition by
just writing to your Representative/Member of EU Parliament: see
http://wwwdb.europarl.eu.int/ep5/owa/
p_meps2.repartition?ilg=EN&iorig=home for their mail and postal
addresses.

Cheers,
Erik