www-community mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Draft proposal for EU patents protest
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:22:41 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Whatever text we adopted will need to be approved, anyhow, but do you want
> to add anything to the effect that the Apache Software Foundation develops
> software based upon Open Standards and promotes inter-operability, both of
> which would be threatened by software patents, and therefore the ASF is
> taking its position based upon the firm belief that Internet technology must
> remain open and unencumbered?

I sure would like to see such statements but, given the lack of time, I
thought that it would have been less questionable and debatable to have
a more neutral text. But addition, if possible, would be most welcome.

> The irony is that the patent system was put into place to protect small
> inventors from powerful players, and to ensure that they would receive a
> fair economic reward.  Instead it as evolved into a system where the largest
> players develop huge patent portfolios to use as leverage against their
> peers, and the smaller players are kept out of the system by the economics
> involved in the patent process.
>
> We see enough of that already here in the USA.

And this is exactly why we're trying to keep that away from Europe. :-)

BTW, thanks for your corrections: they have been applied.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino