www-community mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Draft proposal for EU patents protest
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:58:18 GMT
This is a quickly made-up text for the Apache sites to show up tomorrow.
If there is any agreement on that, I can come up with an HTML version
(including the ASF logo, the redirect meta and all the yadda-yadda)...

Please feel free to comment, rephrase and correct my non-native English.

On September 1st the European Commission is going to vote a revised
version of the European Patentability rules. The proposed revision
contains a set of serious challenges to Open Source development since
regulation regarding software patents will be broadly extended and might
forbid indipendent development of innovative (Open Source and not)
software-based solutions.

The European Open Source community is very concerned about the upcoming
new regulation and has organized a demo protest for August 27, asking
Open Source supporting sites to change their home pages to let everyone
know what is going on at the European Parliament. The Apache Software
Foundation has decided to support this initiative, and this is why you
are seeing this page.

For further informations please see http://swpat.ffii.org and
http://petition.eurolinux.org. You will be redirected automatically to
this site homepage in 60 seconds (or you can reach it directly by
clicking <a href="...">here</a>).

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino