www-community mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: EU Software Patents
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:28:29 GMT
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, David Reid wrote:
> Bill, are you seriously saying that laws in the EU will not have any impact
> on the way the ASF carries on it's affairs? It saddens me as I thought we'd
> moved away from this sort of small minded view of the world :(

No, it means that, at least as far as the IRS is concerned, this is
potentially an issue, as 501c3 charitable organizations are not supposed
to be politically active.  The intent is to prevent people from being able
to make political donations to support a candidate's election and write
off those donations, as one example.  However, there are plenty of
advocacy organizations whose 501c3 status is not a question: the EFF, for
example.  So long as any advocacy we do is around issues and not elections
or votes or specific politicians, we're good.

	Brian