www-community mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: announce@apache.org, was Re: Newsletter.
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:46:19 GMT
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Thom May wrote:
> * Noel J. Bergman (noel@devtech.com) wrote :
> > So then it sounds as if two "action" items are to:
> >
> >   (a) ensure that each TLP has an announce@
> >   (b) subscribe each announce@tlp.apache.org to announce@apache.org
> >
> > Works for me.
> Sounds good, unless anyone has any reservations I'll look at doing this
> tomorrow.

Whoa whoa whoa.  b) is backwards - from the other discussions on this, you
wanted to subscribe announce@apache.org to each announce@$tlp.apache.org,
not the other way around.

There is an ezmlm problem with this - ezmlm's loop-detection mechanism
doesn't like it when one mailing list sends mail to another.  It looks for
the presence of a "Mailing-List" header in a submitted message.  I think
we can modify the ezmlm list directory for announce@apache.org to not look
for this loop, but I worry that doing that would increase the odds of
future mail loops through announce@apache.org.  Though, if all messages
are moderated, then the chances of an actual loop happening drops.

Furthermore, are we sure that we want announce@apache.org to be the sum of
traffic.  I'd prefer, say, a weekly compilation of those posts...
announce@apache.org has been a very low-traffic list so far, so if all of
the sudden there were several posts a week, that could be unfriendly.
Perhaps a note to announce@apache.org announcing any changes like this
would be good.  And in thinking about it, I suppose subscribing to the
digest version of the announce lists if the traffic gets too high is
possible.

	Brian