www-community mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Jakarta Newsletter Issue 9 -- May-June 2003
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:50:07 GMT
Danny,

As I said to you in the broader context, I wasn't saying that community@ is
the right place; just that I think it is hard to call it off-topic if it
covers the whole community.

Actually, announce@ was one of the places I'd suggested in an earlier
message.  announce@ has almost no traffic, no noise, a much larger
subscriber list (and not just ASF committers), and has the charter: "The
Apache Announcements list contains news and announcements about the
foundation and its projects."  How more appropriate can it get?

> If you're worried that subscribers to community@ won't be subscribed to
> announce@ (and that the newsletter will miss some of its target audience)

In fact it will reach more of the target audience, not less.  As you say,
the solution is to encourage people to subscribe to the right list.  Also,
the newsletter would be available on the web.

> > and provide a separate subscriber list for
> > people who want the full newsletter.

> Have a seperate read-only newsletter list you mean?

Only if people felt that announce@ wasn't appropriate for the full text.
Personally, I agree with those who feel that the text should be available
via e-mail, and considering the roughly 1 message per month traffic on
announce@, it is hard to argue that it is too much volume.

FWIW, it is my personal expectation (based upon nothing more than web
trends) that at some point the newsletter will adopt an XML publishing
model, with an plain text version for e-mail, and a more visually appealing
and navigable web edition.  Since I won't be working on that, it is only a
prediction based upon newsletters I'm already receiving from elsewhere.

	--- Noel