www-community mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Jakarta Newsletter Issue 9 -- May-June 2003
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:06:58 GMT
> But with the obvious caveat that an ASF wide newsletter might become quite
> big if people write major dissertations, I'd rather see nice concise
precis
> of recent activity, and links to more detail text where relevant, I'm more
> likely to read it all that way.

Let's see what happens.  :-)  And until wireless Internet is globally
available, you're balancing against those people who want to read on the
train, as they've put it.

> > FWIW, it is my personal expectation (based upon nothing more than web
> > trends) that at some point the newsletter will adopt an XML publishing
> > model, with an plain text version for e-mail, and a more visually
> > appealing and navigable web edition.

> I suspect this is true too.

Something like:

   <article name="..." url="..." title="">
     <summary>
     </summary>
   </article>

would handle multiple forms, e.g., brief e-mail, full e-mail, web site
edition.  Cocoon could handle the entire publishing process, even producing
a downloadable PDF for those who want to read it that way.

	--- Noel