www-community mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [i18n] Internationalization project
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:27:06 GMT
If the purpose is to come up with a common XML schema (for the sake of
discussion) and common tools, I don't see it as being a TLP.  Each project
will need to have its own resources using the common format and tools.

Does a DTD/schema and a set of common language bindings/utility libraries
warrant a TLP?  It seems to me that for any application the application's
resources and code calling the common libraries would be in that project's
repositories.  Why not use http://commons.apache.org/?  Isn't that why the
latter exists?  Let's see:

    o Commons is a parent of reusable code projects.
    o The Commons will be language-agnostic.
    o Projects that are "in scope" are defined as:
      - Existing components that are, or would be, useful to multiple
        projects
      - Reusable libraries
      - Components that do not fit cleanly into any other top-level
        project, but they do fit the goals of Commons.

Sounds like Apache Commons it is for the very few pieces of shared material.

I think that "bringing together a group of volunteers who are not coders,
and who may not even be experts on one particular project outside its
documentation, but who are able to provide translations" would be great, but
that's not a project.  There is certainly a nexus of effort, but the work
product(s) belong elsewhere.

As Thom May said, "the commits will have to be performed by individual
projects, a place for translation teams to coordinate, develop best
practises and also recruit new translators would be, I suspect, very
welcome."  Sounds like an internationalization@commons.apache.org mailing
list waiting to happen.

Please note: I am American, therefore I don't even speak fluent Pig Latin.
;-)  [OK, I used to speak Spanish and Hebrew, but am too many years out of
practice].

	--- Noel