www-community mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [i18n] Internationalization project
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:31:10 GMT

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 05:03 PM, Joerg Pietschmann wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> I think that "bringing together a group of volunteers who are not coders,
>> and who may not even be experts on one particular project outside its
>> documentation, but who are able to provide translations" would be great,
>>  but
>> that's not a project.
>
> I think one part of the "infrastructure" would be a mailing list
> or a set of lists where translators hang out, especially if their
> favorite projects don't have anything to translate at the moment,
> and where projects without dedicated translators can announce
> needs for translation and recruit people, and where the translator
> community can build itself and recruit new members.

+1

IMHO a major stumbling block is that a pmc cannot adequately supervise the
committing of patches unless they there are sufficient fluent speakers of
the language. but, how can a pool of trusted translators for a project
grow if no one can commit their patches?

hosting a japanese version of jakarta on the main apache site would be
very cool but without a number of japanese speaking pmc members, this
would seem to me to put the ASF at legal risk.

i think that a central mechanism is needed so that a pool of translators
trusted by the ASF can develop. if a management committee for translations
is out of the question then maybe a mailing list would at least be a start.

> After some time, they'll probably require some tool support and
> other technical infrastructure, which will hopefully grow in parallel.

+1

- robert