www-community mailing list archives

From Robert Simpson <rsimp...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [i18n] Internationalization project
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2003 06:02:28 GMT
David,

Thanks for talking to the incubator folks, and for the update.  The reason I had originally
targeted i18n/l10n for Apache is that is the code that I'm primarily familiar with, as a "user"
of the various projects (mostly various Jakarta subprojects, plus Ant and some XML).  Since
I don't really use any of the SourceForge projects (I'm not even sure what their equivalents
of the Apache projects are, except maybe for WebMacro being their equivalent to Velocity,
if that's even from SourceForge), I don't really feel any loyalty to them, or have the motivation
to contribute there, if I'm not using their code.  I'd rather continue contributing to Apache
where I can.

Even if targeted for JG, it still needs to go to the incubator first, so I'm not really sure
where to go from here, except to wait for it to become more obvious to more people that an
i18n/l10n project is needed.  It looks like some missed the fact that there is code involved,
to keep the various translations in sync as additions are made in different languages, and
to produce the programming-language-specific files from the XML translations.

It's pretty much been discussed out on JG, since Feb, and only the final result for the project
structure was what was posted earlier on this list.  So the next step seemed to be to get
it into the incubator.  On JG it hadn't sounded like it wouldn't be that much of a problem
getting it incubated.

Robert Simpson