www-community mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: [i18n] Internationalization subproject sponsor?
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:32:18 GMT
Robert Simpson escribió:

> I also fear that if I go back to simply continuing the development of
> the code myself, that eventually the need in Jakarta will be
> recognized, but I will be too far along at that point to convert
> everything to it.  Or worse yet, the need will be recognized at
> different times within each Jakarta subproject, resulting in each
> subproject doing internationalization their own way.

Jetspeed is already using i18n (or is it l10n?) for most of its strings.
We use the Turbine 2.2 localization service for client specific
ResourceBundles lookup and caching.

I think Tomcat has also some effort already done.

The main problem I see in your proposal is not coding it, but getting
any/some/most of the jakarta projects to use the code, and agree in ways
to handle the files back and forth as the development process
progresses. Also, I think this is not a pure java issue, and looking at
it from the whole Apache might help (as the web sites and the project
documents would also need translation effort).

I think a project which would take care of document and/or Resource
bundle translation, coordinated with each Apache project requiring so
would be a great thing in terms of infrastructure.

I cc: community for insight, since there is much more in Apache than
jakarta (even in the java world, there is a lot of  XML people working
in java)

Regards
--
Santiago Gala