www-community mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: WORA Considered Evil ;-)
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:25:29 GMT
Serge Knystautas escribió:
> Santiago Gala wrote:
>
>> I think a good equilibrium point between the "marketing" view of
>> security (making sysadms trust) and purist java technical view would
>> be to allow James not having to run as root under Unix (to handle
>> protected ports like 25, 110, etc.) and then securing the rest of the
>> processing through java security declarations.
>

> Since people here know qmail and sendmail a lot better than I do... how
> do they bind to those ports without running as root?

It is done, AFAIK, having a small program running as root, which just
opens the server socket(s), listens to them. Every time a connection is
accepted, this driver forks and spawns a different program under lesser
privileges, passing it the socket as file descriptor. (Don't take this
as a precise description)

A small auxiliary process (a minimalistic and security conscious C
program) doing this and using some kind of IPC to communicate with a
James+JNI process could do the job in a way that is both portable and
can be trusted by sysadms. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not a
POSIX wizard at all. I don't know how much of this applies to Windows,
although sandboxing Windows services does not look like a bad idea.

Similar to what Costin and Pier discussed about some days ago re:
communicating Apache with Tomcat, in a thread named "How ASF membership
works and what it means".

P.S.) ASF membership means you can speak about those difficult issues
and (some) people will actually listen :-P (For those blunt enough, this
is a disclaimer)

Regards
--
Santiago Gala