www-community mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: WORA Considered Evil ;-)
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 09:00:58 GMT
Steve Brewin escribió:
> Achieving sysadm trust is not the same as achieving a maximally hardened
> solution. Perhaps James could achieve a level of trust from some Unix
> sysadms by making it possible to mirror the deployment environments that
> they trust. Fine. But as developers we shouldn't be blind to the fact this
> is a minor detour on the road to a maximally hardened solution.

I think a good equilibrium point between the "marketing" view of
security (making sysadms trust) and purist java technical view would be
to allow James not having to run as root under Unix (to handle protected
ports like 25, 110, etc.) and then securing the rest of the processing
through java security declarations.

I think having to run a big program as root looks always dangerous, as
it makes far more difficult to know what it is doing or to scan it for
security problems. Specially if it is extensible or takes third party
extension modules (mailets, etc.)

This (and better) hardening could be achieved at the "pure" java level
by granting specific permissions to different codebases/jars, using
doPrivileged() when needed and running under a security manager, but I
doubt most sysadms would be convinced if they don't understand java
security. I, for one, could "buy" a pure java securiy solution, but I'm
not a typical sysadm.

Regards
--
Santiago Gala