www-community mailing list archives

From Tetsuya Kitahata <tets...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [i18n] Internationalization subproject
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 01:09:31 GMT

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:46:27 +0100
(Subject: Re: [i18n] Internationalization subproject)
"David Reid" <david@jetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> FWIW I think that an ASF wide i18n project is a good idea but I think that
> to be a success it must focus on being platform independent from the get-go,
> not do as others have done and start with Java then try to adapt to other
> languages...

Sure.

The precursor is HTTPD-DOCS project, i think.
cf. http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/
If possible, i want this project to come to i18n (TLP) first...
Reorganization.

> Also it should probably go via the incubator as I doubt it'll stand a chance
> of going straight in as a top level project.

IMO, i18n issue should be the ASF-wide, and no need for incubator
project. I am afraid there are few veteran about 18n issue in incubator
members.
And, to tell the truth, the Robert Simpson's initial proposal (codebase)
will directly go to i18n TLP or be incubated **after** the i18n TLP
launch out.

> Why do you think we don't welcome people from all over the world presently?

Nice question. Very very nice.

I, personally, do not think the ASF do not welcome people from all over
the world relatively. However, there might be more *rooms* of the ASF to
give the *sign* that the ASF is welcoming people from all over the world.

--

1.

... How about jakarta-ja@i18n.apache.org ?? ..  where I can talk
the general issues on jakarta in my native language (japanese)

2.

Of course, I know that there are many people who claim, "Hey,
my patch was ignored!", without the esteem for the committers.

However, I also know many patches, which are worthy, from the people
in Asian country had been ignored and they'd come to shut up
their mouths.

In Asia, especially Korea, China and Japan, there are a lot of jakarta
(and other products under ASL) users, however, there seem few feedback
to the ASF from them, even though we take account of the *english
barrier*. Why? .. They feel that it is easier to contribute to
*ASF mirrored sites* (users/dev communities in their native languages)
than *ASF itself*. Or, *just thank to the ASF and use for themselves*
syndrome.

3.

As for language specific mailing list goes, Brian once said,
"I think it would bring non-English-speaking communities closer to the
ASF, rather than encourage them to set up their own islands.",
when I proposed the creation of [japan]-ML *in* apache.org

If i18n TLP launched out, I think these kind of
'language-specific-mailnglist' can reside inside the i18n TLP.

4.

Today, the ASF can not evaluate the activities outside of the ASF
(ASF mirrored) because we can not understand foreign languages.
But, I think ASF mirrored contribution should be evaluated properly by
the ASF and we should appraise their activities.
i18n TLP can provide the ROOMs for us to evaluate the *right*/*active*
persons.

--

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)