www-community mailing list archives

From Tetsuya Kitahata <tets...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [i18n] Internationalization subproject sponsor?
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:39:12 GMT

I'll put the original proposal from Robert Simpson below:

I suggested him to come here and to say what he wants to
do in this community@ mail list.

Personally, I do think that the i18n issue is not only related to java
but also to all the *language*s. So, I suggested to him, "you do not
have to adhere to jakarta, IMHO".

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

On 3 Jul 2003 15:23:10 -0000
(Subject: [i18n] Internationalization subproject sponsor?)
Robert Simpson <Robert.Simpson@iToolSet.com> wrote:

> To current members of the Jakarta project:
>
> Is there any current member of the Jakarta project who would be interested in
> sponsoring the entry of the Internationalization subproject into the
> incubator?
>
> The Internationalization subproject would be somewhat different than the
> other Jakarta projects in that there would be two types of contributors:
>
>    1. the (traditional) code contributors
>    2. the language translation contributors
>
> So far, the reponses I have received regarding people would would be interested
> in contributing have all been outside Jakarta - mostly language translators.
> Since the Internationalization subproject would most likely fit into the
> Jakarta project, it would help to have a sponsor from within Jakarta, per the
> "Incubation Process" documentation.
>
> The subproject proposal and initial code contribution can be found earlier in
> the Jakarta General mailing list, or here:
>     http://www.itoolset.com/i18n/PROPOSAL.html
>
> Without a sponsor, I will probably move the code that was extracted in
> preparation for submission to Apache back into the iToolSet package hierarchy
> and let it pass as an Apache contribution until there is more interest in a
> common Internationalization architecture within Apache itself.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Robert Simpson

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 18:32:18 +0200
Santiago Gala <sgala@hisitech.com> wrote:

> Robert Simpson escribió:
>
> > I also fear that if I go back to simply continuing the development of
> > the code myself, that eventually the need in Jakarta will be
> > recognized, but I will be too far along at that point to convert
> > everything to it.  Or worse yet, the need will be recognized at
> > different times within each Jakarta subproject, resulting in each
> > subproject doing internationalization their own way.
> >

> Jetspeed is already using i18n (or is it l10n?) for most of its strings.
> We use the Turbine 2.2 localization service for client specific
> ResourceBundles lookup and caching.
>
> I think Tomcat has also some effort already done.
>
> The main problem I see in your proposal is not coding it, but getting
> any/some/most of the jakarta projects to use the code, and agree in ways
> to handle the files back and forth as the development process
> progresses. Also, I think this is not a pure java issue, and looking at
> it from the whole Apache might help (as the web sites and the project
> documents would also need translation effort).
>
> I think a project which would take care of document and/or Resource
> bundle translation, coordinated with each Apache project requiring so
> would be a great thing in terms of infrastructure.
>
> I cc: community for insight, since there is much more in Apache than
> jakarta (even in the java world, there is a lot of  XML people working
> in java)
>
> Regards
> --
> Santiago Gala