www-community mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: WORA Considered Evil ;-)
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:47:00 GMT
[Reply in multiple pieces based on sub-topic]

> > A problem with multiple JVM instances is the lack of sharing between
> > multiple instances.

> on some operating systems, different JVMs share as much as 80% of
> their memory.

> > I would like to see the JVM/JIT generate and share common class
> > code on platforms that support it.

> This is already there.

On which platforms?  And are we talking about the same thing?  Are you
saying that if I do

  export CATALINA_BASE=/site1; startup.sh
  export CATALINA_BASE=/site2; startup.sh
  export CATALINA_BASE=/site3; startup.sh
  export CATALINA_BASE=/siteN; startup.sh
  service james start

that the N separate sets of Tomcat processes and James are sharing memory
images for all common class code?  Do you know when/where that was
introduced?

	--- Noel