www-community mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: WORA Considered Evil ;-)
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:47:00 GMT
[Reply in multiple, shorter, pieces based on sub-topic]

> > However, having something like httpd front-end lots of backend JVMs on
> > multiple machines is nice.

> Hey, I know that. I was one of the designers of mod_jserv, you know? ;-)

Let me think ... mod_jserv ... would that be the thing I started using after
Jeeves, and which I still have about a dozen hosts running (although not for
long)?

Yes, I knew that.  :-)  I was surprised that you didn't mention it in your
otherwise well-explained lament about the drawbacks of a single JVM.

> > And what prevents mod_jk2 from using a launcher
> > to control and monitor JVM processes?

> Nothing. that's exactly how mod_jserv worked.

When not in manual mode (ApJServManual on), mod_jserv launched the JVM, but
unless I missed a switch, there was no way to control per-JVM user/group.
Also, I was talking about a separate launcher service that could run on
other nodes in the network.  Sort of like an inetd (don't take that too
literally!) tailored to mod_jk needs.

	--- Noel