www-community mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: WORA Considered Evil ;-)
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:58:22 GMT
Stefhano wrote:

> Nono, you didn't get my point: I think it's possible to get *existing*
> java classes and re-compile them into CLI.
>
> Since java and C# are converging into two different syntaxes of the
> exact same functionality, and we have millions of lines of java code, I
> think that working at the bytecode level will give us a much better (and
> easier) portability choice.

You're right, I kind of missed the point, I get the bytecode argument though.

And yes, the language similarity between c# and java is staggering. And no, I don't want to
get into big discussions about delegates (aka function pointers) and structs here.

The point I was making (badly) is that the problem isn't translating java to c#, or even presumaby
compiling java code (Visual J .NET) to .NET bytecode, the problem I have encoutered 1st hand
is that there is are *LOT* of java libraries that we all use everyday which are licenced to
us by Sun (and possibly others) under proprietery licences of one kind or another with varying
degrees of freedom.

For this idea to take off there would have to be either a lot of things re-written from scratch
without dependance on proprietery code, or some new VM which would allow java and .NET bytecode
to be used interchangeably, and I'm guessing here but I bet that Sun wouldn't like to see
anyone try this with any parts of J2EE.

I suspect the that issues which might sink this are ones of scale and politics not technology.

d.