www-community mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <adr...@intencha.com>
Subject Re: WORA Considered Evil ;-)
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:28:31 GMT
> On which platforms?  And are we talking about the same thing?  Are you
> saying that if I do
>
>   export CATALINA_BASE=/site1; startup.sh
>   export CATALINA_BASE=/site2; startup.sh
>   export CATALINA_BASE=/site3; startup.sh
>   export CATALINA_BASE=/siteN; startup.sh
>   service james start
>
> that the N separate sets of Tomcat processes and James are sharing
> memory
> images for all common class code?  Do you know when/where that was
> introduced?

The separate processes would share memory including a part of the
actual JVM code as well as much of the Java library classes if (and I'm
pretty sure only if) you are running on OS X.  Apple has provided the
technology to do this back to Sun and it will likely appear in a future
version of Java.  At one stage Apple was suggesting it would likely
appear in Java 1.5 but it seems to have slipped from there.

> 	--- Noel

Adrian Sutton.