www-community mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: How ASF membership works and what it means
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:01:41 GMT
On Monday, June 23, 2003, at 06:59 PM, Ted Leung wrote:

> Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

<snip>

>> ->	the java world seems to need amazing number of indians (or
>> 	committers) relative to lines of codes or bugs fixed. And seems
>> 	to see more isolated pockets of people than the xml and other
>> 	parts of the ASF.
>>
> My impression on this is that the folks at jakarta have been more free
> (at least compared to projects in XML) with commit rights.  I don't know
> if this is actually the case, but it is my perception.

i'm not sure that you can generalize like that. different communities
within jakarta seem to require different levels of commitment. some (for
example velocity) seem to require extensive development activity for
months or even years. others are much more liberal. it can be a fine line
to run since there has been quite a lot of public criticism about there
being too few committers on several jakarta lists i'm subscribed to.

one interesting consequence of a general move within jakarta towards
extensive unit testing is that the time required to commit patches has
significantly increased. my experience now is that creating good unit
tests takes more than the time it takes to write the code. i'm also now
more aware that good documentation is crucial and spend more time creating
documentation. this increases the time required to review and approve
patches from developers. as code bases become more mature, more and more
care also has to be taken when committing patches. it's rare that i can
review and commit any patch in less than an hour. i only have a certain
amount of time available for work on apache projects and so the rate of
improvement either slows or more bodies are required. i'd be interested to
discover how other, longer established projects solve similar problems.

- robert