www-community mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: The cash of our lives / Dvorak
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:10:15 GMT
---- Ben Hyde <bhyde@pobox.com> ----
 >... There is no clearing house were I can
 > exchange one performance fix for two clear explanations.

LOL!  If you want to talk Xalan, I'm sure I could scrape up a couple of
clear explanations if you have some performance enhancements to contribute...

Actually, I can see plenty of individual reasons we all contribute, either
unique to each of us or simply a common enjoyment in doing good code.  But
along with Ben, I don't think you can generalize or turn this into a strict
economic discussion.  And as for the ego, I like the fact that while the
ASF doesn't prevent people from leaving @authors in or trumpeting their own
book or press release, we certainly don't promote it.  (Personally, I think
to @author or not to @author should be decided by each project as they wish)

The thing I like best about the ASF and our license is that anyone can use
our projects freely, as long as they give credit to the ASF
collectively.  This is both good enough to give me a personal ego boost,
and is a godo way to show the world what great products we make and what
vibrant communities we try to build.

- Shane