www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: WORA Considered Evil ;-)
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:37:00 GMT
on 6/27/03 6:43 AM Danny Angus wrote:

> Stephano wrote:
>

>>And in order to do this, we must commit a few sins, one of which could
>>be compiling our existing code for .NET CLI
>

> Funny you should mention that... because I'm porting the Mailet API to .NET.
>
> The problem isn't with the API, but with the dependance on javax.mail in particular MimeMessage
et al. For which an OS (or at least free) .NET version doesn't exist.

Nono, you didn't get my point: I think it's possible to get *existing*
java classes and re-compile them into CLI.

Since java and C# are converging into two different syntaxes of the
exact same functionality, and we have millions of lines of java code, I
think that working at the bytecode level will give us a much better (and
easier) portability choice.

And, if that could do it for CLI or Parrot at the same time, it would be
even better, more choice equals more freedom.

Why bothering?

 1) we have no access to the JVM code, we can't make it faster, even if
we wanted and knew how (java would be *so* much faster if we could
reimplement part of the standard library natively! expecially Strings!)

 2) the JVM bytecode was created for settop boxes. one register and one
stack. most of the operations are performed in getting data in and out
of that single register. Maybe it was cool 10 years ago when targetting
*7, but today it's pure bullshit. CLI is designed as a modern CPU and
it's much easier to compile into native code.

 3) parrot has native continuations. I expect Java to have continuations
in 1.6 or sooner if .NET adds them. But the VM functionalities are
converging.

If I had time and energy, I would submit a JSR to modernize the
bytecode. But then politics would get in, corporations would slow things
down, marketing would impose visions and all that shit.

I don't have it, so I think I'll just route around the big obstacle to
the evolution of java which is called JCP.

And they go around saying that JCP means innovation.

I guess that in a world of perennial stagnation, anything that changes
is named "innovation".

Bah, there is nobody blinder that those who don't want to see.

--
Stefano.