www-community mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: How ASF membership works and what it means
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:46:36 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi escribió:
> on 6/24/03 6:59 AM Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>

>>>I think that we have multiple subcultures under the ASF umbrella, due to
>>>the way that the umbrella projects were formed.  Whether you like that
>>>or not, I think that is the reality.  I know that I personally would
>>
>>And I think that is a healty thing. It makes us more resiliant and self
>>supporting in a changing world. I certainly do not thing that 'enforcing'
>>the patterns of 'httpd' are a good idea.
>

> I agree, also because I'm not so sure that the patterns of "httpd" are
> necessarely the best ones. I believe that the java.apache.org-originated
> culture of a lower bar for committership created the explosive growth of
> jakarta and xml. Something that the HTTPd culture fails to identify as a
> value, but it might well be from a purely darwinistical perspective,
> because it allows more noise and mutations to enter the system, thus
> improving the ability to adapt to environmental changes.

This, I think, is the other side of WORA at work. Your criticism of it
does not show that WORA (or, really, the Java VM architecture) allows
for a lot more safety to experiment than native architectures.

I still feel shocked when I (rarely) see a JavaVM crash with a seg fault
(out of memory always, maybe some beta JDK at times). The safety of the
JavaVM contrasts a lot with the dangers of C/C++ environments, and makes
it compelling to write a java alternative even when good native
libraries do exist. This is the viral character of it. I wonder is
"parrot" will do the same for perl/python/ruby.

My approach to "unhook" from it goes through using network protocols to
mix different languages, rather than trying to link programs together.
Much in the line of mod_jk.

--
Santiago Gala
High Sierra Technology, S.L. (http://hisitech.com)