www-community mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Common documents across the ASF
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:33:54 GMT
Tim,

you missed my point. Sander asked whether commit access is, or is seen
as, a barrier.
The answer is: yes. It is one of many barriers that we have. You're
pointing out that
those are in place for a reason. Well, yeah.

For example, commit priviledge is something which is earned by
individuals and given out
by a community, hence facilitating a "community" feel. Someone who is
granted committer
status usually feels honoured to be asked to be part of the team. Works
nicely.

Now the catch: for some stuff, I happen to think some current barriers
don't make sense.
They result in lots of unneccessary duplication (of effort and material).

"general" documentation is one of those areas. A low barrier to
cross-project co-operation
on stuff like that will help avoid pages like
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/nt-cvs-ssh.txt

IOW, this is not about technical difficulty or community dynamics, it is
about managing
the path of least resistance for a common cross-project concern which is
completely
orthogonal to the reason(s) for the existence of our barriers.

cheers!

- Leo

Tim O'Brien wrote:

<rant-disclaimer/><snip/><stuff/>