www-community mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Common documents across the ASF
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:09:09 GMT
Tim O'Brien wrote:
>>no, the barrier is not high. Yes, it is too high for many, many potential
>>contributors.
>
> No it isn't, I think you are confusing the fact that people don't
> generally like to contribute documentation.  Instead of lowering the
> barriers for "potential contributors", we need to do a better job of
> creating an atmosphere where a non-committer knows that a patch submission
> will not sit in Bugzilla for months before being "discovered".

I would tend to agree with your rant and your suggestion on how to earn
karma.

However, committers on individual projects are using their own CVS
modules to create copies of these documents.  We on the James project
have done this with a few pages and link to some Jakarta or Apache
website pages depending on which we think is best written/most updated.
  So, I don't see the issue as people not wanting to write
documentation, just individuals taking the path of least resistance.

Honestly, I'm curious as to how much authority the individual PMCs
should be exercising to define these processes.  Even a process as
simple as creating an account for a first time creator can have
variations.  This is a silly example, but the Jakarta page says to cc
this request to pmc@, while we at James are cc'ing general@.  Also the
James project might want to specify that "lazy" consensus for a new
committer vote is waiting 72 hours from the time the vote is called.
Other projects may have this a different time, or even just think the
James project is making a mountain out of a mole hill and should get
over themselves.

Isn't to some extent these processes decisions up to the PMC?  Do we
really have so many variations that the board (or members or whoever)
need to decide what to centralize and unify?

--
Serge Knystautas
President