www-community mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FYI: spam/viruses originating from apache.org
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 22:39:01 GMT
> You wouldn't believe how many are being caught on their way to
> apache.org
> addresses; my spamfilter also catches messages bearing this virus.
> Thousands per day.  Hundreds alone to people like myself, Roy, Ralf,
> and
> many jakarta mailing lists.
>
> Many of the messages do not have attachments, though, oddly enough, and
> those aren't caught.  I don't see a reliable pattern to match them on;
> don't want to block all messages that say "Approved" for example.  :)

Yeah, I get hundreds a day and dozens more auto-responders responding
to worm mail sent out as "From: fielding@ics.uci.edu" just because
that address is in the RFCs I wrote.  A lot of the messaged without
attachments are being forwarded by UCI after their virus checker
has stripped them.

BTW, feel free to block all e-mail with that address in From -- I never
use it to send mail.

....Roy