www-community mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: How BSD hurts OpenSource
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 11:19:44 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> What I wonder is how many of those authors/copyright-holders have
> actually read the GPL and understand what it really means.  -- justin

Bingo.  Herd mentality.

Not to diss the GPL itself for that reason.  I would diss the GPL for
being hard for people to determine exactly what they can do with
GPL-licensed stuff.  Among normal people, debates have been going on for
years about whether GPL-ed stuff can be used in one way or another. Does
the GPL mean what rms says it means or what a high-priced lawyer thinks
a court of law would say it means?  If you can't pay a lawyer, are you
safe sticking with the more amenable of (a) what the software author
currently says she wants it to mean or (b) what rms says it means?
Given that, how could all of the authors/contributers of GPL-ed stuff
have deliberately chosen that license?

Meanwhile, the legalese in the ASF license avoids clouding the big
picture.  No long-running disagreements about what you can do with such
stuff.