www-community mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: How BSD hurts OpenSource
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 07:06:02 GMT
--On Wednesday, May 14, 2003 8:13 AM +0200 Nicola Ken Barozzi
<nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:

> And given what he thinks about the "publicity" cause in the Apache License,
> that makes it "incompatible" with GNU, it's really amusing.

At an academic workshop I was at last weekend on open source, someone brought
up the 'statistic' that 70-80% of open source projects use GNU GPL for their
license.  (No idea where that came from, or how accurate it is - lies, damn
lies, and statistics.)

What I wonder is how many of those authors/copyright-holders have actually
read the GPL and understand what it really means.  -- justin