www-community mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sun and the JCP 2.5
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 23:24:34 GMT
> Does anyone know why JBoss isn't being granted the scholarship?  I
> read the Happiness is here today JCP 2.5 announcement
> (http://java.sun.com/features/2002/10/new_jcp.html) again and it says
> "qualified achedemic, non-profit and opensource members".

I am not sure about the announcement text, but I know that the agreement
was for nonprofit or academic organizations, or for individuals working
on behalf of a nonprofit.  JBOSS is none of the above.
<http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/announce/LetterofIntent.html>

> While I realize that this isn't an Apache opensource project, it was
> my understanding that Apache had invested a great deal of effort in
> getting Sun to open up the JCP and enact these reforms.  I would hate
> to thing and be very disappointed if they were not being applied
> fairly.

We did.  Under the old rules, JBOSS would not be allowed to implement
a compatible implementation as open source.  Under the new rules, they
only need to pass the TCK, and as a commercial organization it is up
to them to pay for it.

....Roy