www-community mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Licensing and modified GPLs (again!)
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 08:55:29 GMT
Recently there has been a thread on xindice-users about incorporating
XQuery using the Qexo engine, based on Kawa. Qexo and Kawa are ruled by
the Kawa license (http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/License.html) which
brings an interesting variation on the GPL:

<quote>
These classes are free software.  You can use and re-distribute a class
without restriction (in source or binary form) as long as you use a
version that has not been modified in any way from a version released
by Per Bothner, Red Hat inc, or the Free Software Foundation.

You may make and distribute a modified version, provided you follow
the terms of the GNU General Public License; either version 2,
or (at your option) any later version.
</quote>

The question is: is that enough to defeat GPL's virality? I'm starting
to think that it might well be the case: as long as you don't modify
Kawa or Qexo, those classes would be used just like any Sun classes so
if it's OK to include a Sun jar it might be OK to include even
Kawa/Qexo. Still, they are shipping even a copy of the GPL2 license with
the distribution, so I'm not sure it would be enough.

Thoughts?

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Pro-netics s.r.l.