www-community mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Licensing and modified GPLs (again!)
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 19:11:05 GMT
> The question is: is that enough to defeat GPL's virality? I'm starting

Defeat isn't quite the right word.  It is actually distributed under two
licenses, one for unmodified and one for with-modifications.  The Apache
license also does that, though in our case they are just two clauses in
a single license.

>  think that it might well be the case: as long as you don't modify
> Kawa or Qexo, those classes would be used just like any Sun classes so
> if it's OK to include a Sun jar it might be OK to include even
> Kawa/Qexo. Still, they are shipping even a copy of the GPL2 license
> with the distribution, so I'm not sure it would be enough.

It is enough.  To be fair, the distribution should always be paired with
a license file that describes the terms in effect.  A jar file would
list the simple terms described, with a link back to the source.  A
source distribution would have to include the GPL2 license inside,
though that alone does not make a distribution viral.

Note, however, that I wouldn't recommend this style of licensing to
everyone.  Among other things, it requires that the original author
maintain full copyright on the entire work, or at least not accept
any contributed modifications without an explicit grant of license.

....Roy