www-community mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: news.apache.org (was: apache.org vs. mozilla.org)
Date Sat, 05 Apr 2003 21:25:42 GMT
A note were in Ben has post Vietnam flashback...

Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> Leo Simons <leosimons@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> NNTP makes more sense than SMTP for group discussions.
>
> No, it doesn't necessarily.

I was in a room yesterday with a lot of people who have been spending
way too much time attempting to 'understand open source'.  I am always
greatly amused by these gathering because you have a group of extremely
smart people attempting to tease apart the mystery of what we do.
That's fascinating to listen too.   But they are always attempting to
do so with out getting the hands dirty.  At one point during the day
they spent a good two hours discussing one thread in the Linux kernel
mailing list.  They looked at the first four messages and then were
given a summary of the other 175 messages.  I was the only person in
the room that had the least clue what the topic of the thread was.

What I often say in these gathering is that Open Source is both a very
old process, i.e. people cooperating to solve problems, and a very new
one, i.e. manufacturing of a document intermediated by computers.  We
are a long way from having searched the space of all possible schemes
for doing it effectively.  That even the simplest things, like what
affordances on the tools might help are just beginning to get some
experimentation.

For example would open source projects work better if CVS was more
enthusiastic about forking?  Would a cooperative drawing tools help?
Is there a right size for a repository, or a community, or an
appropriate way to manage the boundaries around these?  Nobody knows,
but we have lots of intuitions that may or may not just be cargo cult
experiences.

I have a lot of nostalgic affection for using NNTP rather than SMTP for
this stuff.  The first project I ever worked on that was effectively
intermediated using computers and networks used NNTP.  1980-85 I worked
on a very complex compiler project and we used NNTP to organize the
narrative around the work.  For example we used individual threads for
each bug.  We never discarded any messages.  The entire message store
was in flat files on the file system so we could use unix tools to
search for lost bits of info - like "did heather say something about
stack chunks a few weeks back".  I vividly recall noticing about half
way thru that project that we all stopped talking about the work in the
halls, that we only talked about life in the halls.  That struck some
of the management as very odd.

We had stumbled on the discovery that by normalizing the work so it all
happened in one place intermediated by the machine we were more
thoughtful, more efficient, more convivial, effective due to the
orthogonal skills, able to tap into bits of serendipity,  able to work
with people who could be prickly in person, etc. etc. etc.

This was also the first time I saw automated builds and testing used to
help developers avoid embarrassment.  The first time I saw builds and
testing triggered by commits so we could shorten the interval between
break and fix - and hence increase the chance that the guy that broke
it could remember what he thought he was doing.  It was also the first
time I got the commits posted to netnews so many eyes could casually
proof read them.

One thing that would happen in that context was that NNTP threads would
often lie idle for months only to suddenly come back to life.  That is
one reason it could be used for working on individual
bugs/enhancements/ports/etc.  The threading seemed more robust then it
it ever seems to in dev@httpd.apache.org.  I assume that was because we
were all using the exact same client software then.

These days I have a lot of trouble seeing the difference between a good
news setup and a good mail setup.  But both need archive, threading,
search etc. etc.  I run all the dev@apr.apache.org email into my
in-house news server, for example.

Of course the major user list for httpd is netnews based.

  - ben