www-community mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Sun and the JCP 2.5
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 07:56:58 GMT

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> http://openenterprisetrends.com/cgi-bin/page_display.cgi?193

> Does anyone know why JBoss isn't being granted the scholarship?  I read
> the Happiness is here today JCP 2.5 announcement

The rules we helped shape make scholarship open for non profits and
academia.

Not for for-profits/commercial entities.

The 'new' rules however _DO_ now allow for commercial entities to release
their code as open source; which (as far as I understand) was out under
the original approach.

So all JBOSS needs to do is pass the TCK; just like any other commercial
vendor. Or alternatively do some sort of split where jboss itselfs becomes
a non profit entity fully decoupled from the commercial company.

Ben Laurie is our man on TCK related Scholarship issues.

Dw