www-community mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject RE: [proposal] daedalus jar repository (was: primary distribution location)
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2003 18:24:34 GMT

> How much should be encoded in a URI, and how much in data associated with
> the URI?  You seem to be trying to encode all of the data into the URI
> naming space.  Why not have a single URI for the target, and then trigger
> behavior based upon the content?  That would seem more extensible and less
> fragile.

Just about any problem in this space can be solved by adding some
indirection. In this case an xml file (or a set thereof) with possible
versions and alternatives; and using URI pointers to the actual file. If
nessesary you can let the URI point to a file with possible mirrors; or
list the known mirrors in that same descriptive file.

Once system we've used internally was to actually name the files to be
downloaded by their MD5. This also made the use of lots of loosely
connected/loosely managed mirrors easier.

Dw