www-community mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Updating source files to have full ASF license
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2003 15:50:13 GMT
On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Just in case it would be of help to any other project(s), here is a link to
> a message I posted earlier tonight to james-dev@.  The message mentions the
> automated process by which I updated every Java file in James to have the
> full ASF License instead of a short form of the license that had previously
> referred to the full license contained in the package.
>
> The sed script attached to that message might be of some use, although it
> would need minor text changes depending upon the target project.

I have often thought it would be very very nice if the source files
could reference the license, and tell you where to get it, rather than
including the full text. This hugely increases the size of everything,
and provides no real benefit. If each file could reference a file
(included in the distribution) and a URL, surely that would be
sufficient? What is the rationale for the full text in each and every
file?

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
Author - Apache Administrator's Guide