www-community mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] daedalus jar repository
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2003 00:12:58 GMT
On 1 Mar 2003, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 11:12, Costin Manolache wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
>

> > It is also redundant information - each jar has a well-defined Manifest
> > that should include version.
> >

> Unfortunately practice and observation show this not to be the case in
> many situations. Many of Sun's own JARs carry zero useful manifest
> information. Manifests certainly need to be improved but they aren't
> even close to consistent or useful.

That may be a consequence of the lack of tools to support it.

With servlet2.3+ requiring containers to process the manifest, and
if more tools and projects start using it - this may slowly change.

But I agree - relying only on manifest is not reasonable at this
moment.

One idea would be to distribute a filename.jar.MANIFEST next to
each jar that doesn't have a proper manifest - and have tools check for
this file ( in addition to the manifest inside the jar ). It would allow
us to add the missing info from the manifest - and use the real manifest where
it is available. Again - it's all a matter of tool and product
support.

Costin