www-community mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [proposal] daedalus jar repository
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 22:55:18 GMT
> Wouldn't a reasonable approach to this problem be to make searches for
> "commons-foo.jar" return the latest released version, while searches for
> "commons-foo-x.y.jar" would return that particular version?  Then, you can
> have it either way.  On the former, one might also support a mode that
> grabs the latest nightly instead of the latest reslease.

This sounds reasonable, and it's pretty much what the apache download mirroring does, using
a symlink called "project-foo-current.format" to the latest release, and still maintaining
numbered versions for those that care.
Extending this concept to nightlies (nightlys?) could be achieved by using "project-foo-nightly.format".

I'm assuming, without reading all the mail on this topic, that this idea is bound to fit with
any structure or naming scheme anyone might wish to propose.

d.