www-community mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <erikab...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Updating source files to have full ASF license
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 19:10:57 GMT
Rich Bowen wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
>>I have often thought it would be very very nice if the source files
>>could reference the license, and tell you where to get it, rather than
>>including the full text. This hugely increases the size of everything,
>>and provides no real benefit. If each file could reference a file
>>(included in the distribution) and a URL, surely that would be
>>sufficient? What is the rationale for the full text in each and every
>>file?
>
> Just for the record, my quick unscientific poll shows that the license
> consumes approximately 6.7M in the httpd-2.0 distribution. But I suspect
> that compresses well! ;-)
>
> Scientific method: LICENSE is 22998 bytes. The text of the license
> appears in 293 files, including the LICENSE file itself.

Huh, are you sure?

wget apache.org/LICENSE
100%[====================================>] 2,827

ll
-rw-rw-r--    1 erik     erik         2827 Sep 22  2001 LICENSE

2827 bytes * 293 files = 828311 bytes / 1024 = 808,9kb !

The 22kb LICENSE you mentioned is the full-blown text (located at
httpd-2.0/LICENSE) which includes all subcomponents' licenses but the
source files only include the *Apache Software License* not that of the
other comps...

so we get 808,9kb for the source files plus the license
(22998/1024=22,5kb) itself: ~ 831,4kb

hehe, really cute compared to 6,7M :->

cheers,
Erik