www-community mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: ASF repository URI syntax
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2003 19:05:17 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>>I think in general  ./ or  ./index.html should return a human readable
>>>form and ./index.xml should give machine readable form of the following
>

>>Or use the Accept-type: as a selector.
>

> Could you clarify your thoughts?  I assume that you are refering to the
> Accept: header as defined by RFC 2616 14.1, right?
>
> If I point IE 6 at http://localhost/servlets/SnoopServlet, I get:
>
>  accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
>          application/vnd.ms-excel, application/msword,
>          application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, */*
>
> Opera is more useful, with:
>
>  accept: text/html, image/png, image/jpeg, image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, */*
>
> But IE doesn't specify a preference for HTML over XML, or any other text/*
> type.  As I understand the specification, that would require the server to
> also use the user-agent for mapping, right?

I understood that the use of the accept: header would be for automated
download, under the build system control. When you would point your
browser to it, you would get whatever is the result of your browser
capabilities intersecting the Apache server configuration. I would say
typically text/html

But a build script (or an aggregator) could ask for specific formats,
like "application/rss+xml" to get a feed with updated packages ;-)

Regards,
      Santiago