www-community mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: Updating source files to have full ASF license
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2003 16:10:59 GMT
As far as I understand it, the license itself isn't compatible to be
referenced from another file. It's quite 'direct' and always relates to
the document it is in. IANAL but I think we would need another phrase in
the license wich states something like the following:

"This license applies to any original work of authorship
(the "Original Work") whose owner (the "Licensor") has placed the
following notice immediately following the copyright notice for the
Original Work:

Licensed under the Apache Software License, Version 2.0"

Then, I think, it would be possible to reference the license via
something like:

"Copyright (c) 2003 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
reserved. Licensed under the Apache Software License, Version 2.0"

But as said before, I'm definitely not a lawyer, so that's just my view
of the things :) AFAICR, this possibility was planned for the 2.0
version of the ASF license.

cheers,
Erik