www-community mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject [ASF-Repository]Jars with/without version. was Re: [proposal] daedalus jar repository
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 19:06:22 GMT
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

>On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

>>dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

been very
>>>useful for us.
>>>
>>>Yes, it's often different from what the project creates and distributes,
>>>but I (and others) have been bitten by
>>>commons-logging.jar, struts.jar, junit.jar so many times, that seeing
>>>log4j-1.2.5.jar is a godsend.
>>>

>>I totally share this experience and support the concept.
>>

>I've gotten bit by the opposite problem (changing version number in a JAR
>filename causing broken build scripts) just as often.
>
>Wouldn't a reasonable approach to this problem be to make searches for
>"commons-foo.jar" return the latest released version, while searches for
>"commons-foo-x.y.jar" would return that particular version?  Then, you can
>have it either way.  On the former, one might also support a mode that
>grabs the latest nightly instead of the latest reslease.

Two problems here

    * The uri to find a needed jar.
    * How to store the jar on the local filesystem

I think we should handle these cases

    * uri to find
          o Specific version
          o latest released.  (blank )
          o latest nightly
    * Jar name on local filesystem
          o with complete version
          o without version.

Seems like a straight forward enough to handle all of these on the
client or the server side.

R,
Nick