www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven and community
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 10:59:35 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> The
> thought behind my earlier question about the PMC, which initiated this
> spiral, was that having Ant and Maven under a PMC would help that effort.

Noel,

the ASF has a pretty long history of forcing people inside containers
because many vocal ASF members thought along the same lines of thoughts
that you (and others) are exhibiting in this thread.

Unfortunately, and jakarta shows it more than evidently, it *DOES* *NOT*
work: containment doesn't more harm than good.

The board has to judge the openness of the Maven community more than
anything. Jason's past comments don't help painting the picture of an
open community, even if I agree with him about selectivity being natural
and with Dion when he says that a community is much more than a single
invidivual.

I would say 'go for it' and let darwin lead the way.