www-community mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [proposal] daedalus jar repository (was: primary distribution location)
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:28:21 GMT
On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> > In other words - as long as maven decisions affect only maven - I don't
> > care. But if it affects other projects, and the repository certainly  does
> > - then the PMCs of those projects or the apache community are the ones
> > that decide.
> Sure, but please take into account the work we've already done.

Of course. The "maven" word comes up quite frequently on this thread :-)
The issue is that the repository on daedalus will affect all apache
projects that choose to use it ( to download and upload files ).

I don't think distribution of a project's files from apache repository
should be handled by anyone other than the project itself. The release
manager should sign the files, make the announce about the release and
so on. If Maven or other projects want to rip the official distribution
apart, rename jar files, etc - in its repository - that's fine.

For non-apache jars ( if we get an agreement on including them in the
apache repository ) - IMHO distributing them as close as possible to
the original layout is the best choice ( assuming the download tools
can handle that ).

> > +1 on the oversight committee for non-apache jars.
> Believe me, the oversight bit is the hardest part.

I agree. It must involve the board and the lawyers.

> > A strong -1 on oversight for apache jars. We already have PMCs for each
> > project, and those should oversee the distribution of their own files.
> Even by other projects?

I think we are still discussing the oversight of the daedalus repository,
and who should have the responsibility. I think jakarta PMC should be
responsible for the files in the jakarta* directory in the repository.

Other projects and peole can of course "oversee" in the sense of checking
the files and pointing out problems (like "a project can't run without a
non-approved dependency" ) - but I don't think they should
make release decisions for jakarta projects. ( same for ant and all other
apache projects - jakarta is just an example )

Costin