www-community mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject licensing review
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 17:28:01 GMT
> Code under the ASF License is clearly OK.  As is the IBM Public License
> (the pre-Jakarta BSF, for example) and the MPL (Rhino).  The following
> public domain components are also approved: Antlr and Doug Lea's
> concurrency package.

> Licenses clearly not conforming to the ASF's policies for distribution:
> LGPL, GPL, Sun's Binary Code License.

Please also take a look at this: http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/.
The authors intend and believe that the exception granted allows that code
so licensed "can be used to run free as well as proprietary applications and
applets."  I have spoken with Nic Ferrier about this license exception.
They specifically intend for it to remove any viral implications related to
their binary distribution, and redistribution, and they believe that it does
so.

In the specific case, this is related to the service provider example, so I
am only concerned about the permissible use of their binary jars.

If there are problems with it, please let me know the specifics so that I
can pass them on to Nic & Co.

	--- Noel