www-community mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <...@AlmostHuman.com>
Subject Re: Clear the air Re: ATTN: Maven developers [was: primary distribution location]
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 21:50:53 GMT
On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 09:29 PM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

<snip>

> so we must not distribute any 3p (third-party) packages
> from asf systems if it is not permitted by their licences.
> nor may any of our code automatically go off and fetch
> such packages and start using them on the user's system
> if the packages' licences require *any* sort of acknowledgement
> by the user.  that is, if the licence for package 'x' says
> the user must stand on its head and send a paypal donation
> before using 'x', none of our code may automatically download
> 'x' to the user's system.  if it's *already* on the user's
> system, we can use it -- but we can't get into any position
> in which we are essentially responsible for transmitting
> someone else's licence terms to the user, and assuming they've
> agreed to comply with them.  (i.e., for now i'm ruling
> click-through licences as not permissible for our stuff
> to present.)

what would be allowed (though) in these cases (i suppose) is *not*
downloading the package but instead presenting the user with a nice
message saying that 3rd party package XXX is required by function YYY -
and giving an official url where it can be obtained.

this would be a *big* improvement over the situation (without automated
download) where the user has to find out where a copy of the necessary
package can be downloaded from.

- robert