www-community mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: How get on the map!
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 13:16:42 GMT

Santiago Gala wrote:
> I'm thinking that the best way to show the names, ...

Apparently the radius label doesn't work in marker files for my version
of xplanet.  I'm sure I saw examples of labels floating in space over
the markers on the globe.

Meanwhile I'm musing about some kind of policy statements that would
allow people to clarify their permissiong of such privacy invading
activities...

Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> Ben - could you also put the harversted lat/lon list there ?

Prefered:
    cvs co committers
    cd committers/krell
    make tmp/geomarkers

Currently:
    http://cvs.apache.org/markers.txt

For that you only need unix and perl.

>  I'd like to
> slap a WMS (Open GIS Web Mapping Server) interface over it - so one can
> doe things like zoom in; or change the background, add roads, etc.

Oh that would be neat!

David Crossley wrote:
> Wow, great work Ben and Santiago. I added to the FAQ to explain
> geographic co-ordinates. Some people have their latitude and
> longitude reversed.

Thanks!

> The obvious ones are: bdelacretaz, gstein,
> jwoolley

Actually they haven't exposed their location, so I dumped then in
Antarctica.