www-community mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Ant PMC Issue (was: RE: [proposal] daedalus jar repository)
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:22:19 GMT

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 12:53  PM, James Taylor wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 15:52, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> To expand, I think ultimately all that matters is that a project be
>>> given the space it wants in an attempt to let it flourish.  If the
>>> Maven developers want to be left entirely alone why is that a
>>> concern?
>>
>> Well, I'm not entirely sure how wanting to be left alone fits into an
>> atmosphere of collaboration and Community.  If anything, my concern is
>> greater now because of the attitude than it was yesterday because of
>> the
>> code.
>
> Do we really need to have one big community? We've fostered a tight
> knit
> community of maven developers, even if they are not so tight with other
> parts of Apache.
>
> Some community is good, that doesn't mean more community is better.

I don't understand this attitude. The ASF shall not be a clique. What
exactly is the problem here, is it a case of NIH* syndrome? Are there
personality conflicts between individuals within these groups? Can we
try to pin down what the real problems are here and try to fix them?

-aaron

* NIH == Not Invented Here