www-community mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] daedalus jar repository (was: primary distribution location)
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:09:50 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>Seeing the interest it has raised, I tend to think think it's time to
>>get the act together and start working on it. I'd like to propose this
>>for incubation ASAP, so to not loose momentum.
>>
>>Codebases or part of codebases that could convole in the effort:

>I don't think the main issue is codebases. What we need is a minimal
>common ground on naming conventions for the repository ( so projects
>can get in sync with the repository ), and an agreement on a metadata
>format ( descriptors for dependencies and versions and so on ).
>
>I think discussion on codebase will just create a mess. The goal is
>to have a jar repository and get some consistency among our projects.

I agree.

>If we have a layout and metadata we agree on - any tool could work.
>If it is an ant task or a perl program or we just rsync - it doesn't
>matter.

A somewhat standard layout is the important part.

If we are changing current practice  I think

project/[subproject]/version/(jar|zip|gz|docs|liscenses)
is very good.

All kinds of artifacts for a particular version in one dir.  Seems the
easiest to me.

>Costin

Nick Chalko                                         Show me the code.
                          Centipede
  Ant + autodownloadable build plugins + needed jars autodownload.
              http://krysalis.org/centipede